Monday, February 6, 2012

Birthday Cake Topper and Cake plate



My husband's birthday was last Friday (you can see a fun little treat I made for him here) and I made a cake for him. Not just any old cake, a specific cake. I wanted to make a fancy cake using my cricut cake machine (you can see a fancy cake I made here), but NOOOO he wanted a yellow cake with rainbow chip frosting.  I guess he kept seeing the box in our pantry and on the side panel there was a cake with rainbow chip frosting and he just really wanted one. ha! Anyways, so I made him one.  I really wanted to make a banner across the top of the cake.  It wasn't working the way I wanted, so I scrapped that idea and made this cake topper:


It's very silly, but I thought it was fun!
I wish I was able to show you a picture with the candles in the cake.
They really finished the look off, but unfortunately I didn't get one.
Oh well, you can in-vision it, right? 
I also wanted the cake to sit on a fun cake plate, so I went ahead and made one! 
Want to learn how?


Cake Topper:
2 silly straws, twine, circle punch, computer, and printer

I tried to make a printable for you to download, but it didn't work...sorry. But I can tell you how I made this.
I made a printable using my word document.  All I did was take a text box and fill it with lime green color.  Then I added Happy Birthday in white! I printed it out, cut out the square, and then took my XL Fiskars punch and punched out the Happy Birthday. I punched two holes on each side. I took two silly straws stuck them in the cake. I put the Happy Birthday circle in the air in the middle of the straws where I thought I wanted it, and I then so very technically measured the twine. I just taped the twine to the back of the straws.  That's it!


Cake Plate:
1 plastic plate
1 glass
Spray Paint
E6000 Glue

1.I got my plate from Target for like 50 cents or something ridiculous after Christmas.
2. The glass I got from the dollar store.
3. I spray painted the outside of the glass. Let it dry and then spray paint again if needed
4. I flipped the glass over and put E6000 Glue (which can be found at craft strores) on the back and then stuck the plate on top
5. Let dry
6. Enjoy!


I hope you have a super day!

Happy Crafting!

Smiles,
Jill













9 comments:

  1. My birthday is next month! I'll send over my requests! Great cake idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill, That is ingenious! I LOVE how you repurposed the plate and cup to make a cake plate!!! :) I love your silly straws with the banner too. too adorable. I am sure he had a wonderful birthday!!

    Hugs,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Michelle! It was fun! Smiles, Jill

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothin' stops us creative girls! Great ideas, Jill!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That banner is too cute. You sure know how to whip up something creative in a jiffy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks! I like to call it being resourceful! Smiles, Jill

      Delete

These comments make my day! Thank you for taking the time!
Smiles,
Jill

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...